Saturday 3 September 2011

Two Hours of Reflection

Tomorrow is the big day! Well not "thee big day" just one of the big days. The day where I move out and see if I have what it takes to be a big kid.
For those who have asked me if I'm excited to go to college in the last two months, I have answered with variations of %^#Q*@! or, to be honest I'm scared, depending on whose ears it may fall on.
As this is my last real day being under my parents roof, without any real grow up concerns like a house, grocery list or mode of transportation, I have continued on like I have for every other summer. I woke up at ten, checked facebook, and now continue to lay in bed.
However this morning may be a little different.
I have thought about tomorrow. The truth is, I'm going to be fine because Momma T and Papa Billy have done an excellent job in preparing me for this world. I also will have my best friend from school, Karlee, who knows me better than I know myself most days. I will have friends to show me the ropes of RDC. I have all my show friends who will remind me not to be such a pansy. I have Lexi who looks up to me and expects me to succeed because she thinks I can do anything.
I have thought about grad. Good luck to all my classmates where ever they are headed, Edmonton, RDC, Olds, Vermilion, Camrose or those who are taking a year off. To refer to my grad speech, "It's been a classy thirteen years... This is my challenge to you. Leave behind what isn't helpful but take all the experiences and lessons we have been given to accomplish things you dare to dream. I believe each of us has what it takes to get to where we want to go. So here's to us and our journey "To Infinity and Beyond."" All of the years in Forestburg weren't the best but they weren't the worst either.
I have thought about my first camp-less summer. I estimated that through my nine years of 4-H I have attended sixteen or more summer camps. That is approximate, but astounding. Thinking back to all those weeks spent at Battle Lake, or on the Olds College Campus, I can't imagine my life without them. They gave me more than the simple sessions were meant to teach, or what I was expected to learn from the presentations. They gave me friends I couldn't live without and memories that made getting through winter easier. The camps took the sting out of the ten months spent in a classroom, because we always knew we'd have a blissful week where everything would make sense again and we could just be ourselves.
I have thought about this summer. It has been quite the time. My first real job, with a real pay check and boss. My first summer with a license and places to go. My last summer showing. A trip to show in another province, a group of new friends. Nights and days that I will never forget, that made this summer what it was. There's in the words of Momma T, "someone who would drive five hours just to see me." Memories of laughter, jokes and sunburns, that seem irrelevant.  There's the last hurrah at Redrich, the night in the washracks at Synergy, hotelling in Weyburn, and getting snacks at FJ's.
It's nice to just think about things sometimes. To reflect and realize how little things often stick with you more than the big things. Thing's are new,  I'm not really sure what to do, but I guess that's okay too.

"Just because everything is different doesn't mean anything has changed."  ~Irene Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment