Friday 6 May 2011

I'll Tell You A Story Of A Girl.

Last night I had recital practice. This is always quite the event with several group from age four to seventeen all dancing together for the first time. I can't imagine how stressful this is for the parents, but for me it is really rewarding. I love talking to the kids and imagining how they are going to change in the next five or ten years. The way that a six year old looks at you when you show her how to do a jete is possibly the most rewarding experience I have had. They take your word as law and you feel like you're on the top of the world.
They all knew it is my last year and I got told several times I couldn't just quit after my twelve years. I just laughed but I'm not so sure I'll ever quit dancing. I probably won't preform again but I may look into a recreational class or just practice myself.
I think what I'm going to miss the most (besides my swimmer muscles) is the whole concept of group. My dance girls have been a huge part of my life for so long and I can't possibly thank them for everything. The opportunity to get to know all of them has been a pleasure.
Jete: A leap in ballet in which one leg is extended forward and the other backward.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/jete

With June 5th & 6th growing closer I am forced to start thinking about my last achievement day. It's impossible to think back to how in nine years I have grown to a confident seventeen year old girl from that shy junior. I haven't ever really gotten attached to a 4-H steer but this year Turbo has weaseled himself into my heart.

As Lindsey Douglas keeps telling me when I tell her how scared I am of everything changing, "This isn't the ending, it's just the beginning."

No comments:

Post a Comment