Friday 10 June 2011

Hanging Up The Halter (So To Speak)

On Monday I took my last lap around the arena in Killam, Alberta. Achievement Day this year for me was more about witnessing all the levels of my 4-H career I had been at.

I helped the over active junior with his baby. I tried to remember what it was like to be worried I'd forget what to do once I got in the ring. I answered all his questions with a smile on my face, because he reminded me how we all begin, eager and unsure. When he asked me if I cried after selling my steer, I told him I would this year.


I watched the intermediates. The lot of them, trying to impress each other, throwing things, just happy to be missing a day of school. I noticed how far they had came in the one short year, one step closer to being a senior and the big dog so to speak.

I saw all the parents, sponsers, steer buyers, grand parents, all the people. The die hards who have been there through all my years as a member, who were always there for a pat on the back or a hug when things didn't go just right.

I witnessed all of this with my fellow seniors. For three of us, that was the end of our nine years in 4-H. nine heifers, nine steers, and half a dozen cow calves. Nine public speakings, nine pancake breakfasts, nine multi species judgings.


Nine achievement days....

That's a lot of days dedicated to 4-H. Throw in the camps I attended and all the days I've spent halterbreaking, it's almost like my whole life has been 4-H.

That is why when a kid I had counselled last summer told me, "You have to be here next year, we need you here."


I answered without skipping a beat, "I wouldn't miss it." 

2 comments:

  1. Very Nice Katie! Love your pictures and your tribute, you should really be a writer!
    I think you can take #2 off your bucket list, there will be many 4-H kids lives you will have changed without knowing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous, simply fabulous. Colton will be honored to be in the picture with Hastings Coulee 4H "Royalty ."

    ReplyDelete