Monday 27 June 2011

Cause It's The Least I Can Do

To Christine- by Susan Forde
I wish I could tell you
That you’re not too fat
That you’re fine the way you are
That you’re pretty enough
And you don’t have to wear punishing heels
I wish I could make you believe
That you don’t have to starve yourself
Or add to your chest
To fit this year’s fashions.
And I wish I could tell you,
To love yourself as much as you love him.
You don’t have to make yourself
Into his ideal
The real you is worth so much more.
But I’m only one voice,
Against so many
The magazines with diets and makeovers
That you read
The fairytale your mother read you,
Where the mermaid gave her voice
To be what the prince wanted.
Oh, I wish I could make you listen
But I’m only one voice
Drowned out by so many.
This is one of the most inspirational poems I ever read, and surprise, it was in grade ten English! But it has really stuck with me through the years. As a teenager, especially a teenage girl, we complain constantly about the drama, the peer pressure and all the other fooey that goes on in the hallowed hall we call high school. The fact is that you always want what you can't have. It's hard to grow up never being the "prettiest" girl. It feels like everyone has something that you don't. Your dreams always seem unreachable and unachievable.
But that's what everyone wants you to think. If you have your frends, and you always stay true to yourself, this world is a great place to be! Long as you yourself know the truth and know that you're doing your very best, no one else matters very much anyways. Additionally stay true to your friends because you never know what battle they may be fighting. Be sure to support and love all you can. Because:
"You do it for the joy it brings
Because you're a joyful girl
Because the world owes me nothing
And we owe each other the world
I do it cause it's the least I can do
I do it cause I learned it from you
I do it just because I want to..."
- Joyful Girl by Dave Matthews Band

1 comment:

  1. Though I am not a girl I could actually relate to this because I feel like so many people try to change themselves to make an image of themselves that isn't the real them.

    ReplyDelete